The travel website
TripAdvisor just released the results of its couples getaway survey as
Valentine’s Day approaches. Almost 5,000 domestic respondents were polled,
and these are some of the results, according to a press release from the
- 92 percent of U.S. respondents are planning a trip with their significant other in 2014 (up from
78 percent in 2013); of those, 17 percent are traveling for Valentine’s Day.
- More than half (52 percent) of U.S. respondents cited the
primary reason for embarking on a couples getaway is simply because they are in
love; 23 percent will get away to celebrate an anniversary or birthday; and 5 percent will
travel to spend time away from the kids.
note: As the father of a teenager, I can’t believe this is only 5 percent.)
- Of those traveling for a couples trip, 75 percent will get to
their destination by airplane; 53 percent will travel by car; and 15 percent will
arrive by boat.
a look at where couples are headed this year:
Beach / ocean – 61 percent
City – 39 percent
Island – 24 percent
Mountains – 21 percent
Countryside – 18 percent
- 44 percent will travel domestically, 26 percent will travel
internationally, and 30 percent will take both international and domestic trips during
the year. The most popular major U.S.
cities for those traveling are:
1. San Francisco
2. Las Vegas
4. New York City
- During their starry-eyed escape, 35 percent of travelers will
splurge and stay at a luxury hotel; 24 percent will kick back in a chain hotel; 23
percent will hole up in a small hotel. 19 percent will enjoy a vacation rental; and
19 percent will stay at a BB / inn.
- Nearly one in three (30 percent) plan to splurge on a hotel
room upgrade for their sweetheart.
those unattached, here are the top 10 U.S. destinations for single travelers,
according to respondents:
1. Las Vegas
2. New York City
5. Los Angeles
6. New Orleans
7. Key West, Fla.
8. San Diego
9. Washington, D.C.